Attention Getters: The classroom management is one of the most challenging aspects in the daily teaching and learning process. That is why, the attention getters have a very important role to maintain a group of students focused on and organize to work. I have been using some attention getters with my students; however, I learnt many others through these two weeks. According to my experience, the attention getters work with any level or age and help in the transition from one activity to another in a very creative way which is better than give just instructions all the time. I work with students from pre-k to sixth grade and it is very demanded to use the voice in front of thirty or thirty five students. I am going to include instruments, timers, phrases, silent rules, etc. As soon as students are involved in these strategies, the class will have fluency, organization,and easy transitions.
Class Management: It is probably one of the most difficult aspects in the teaching/ learning process. Most teachers are well prepared and know all they need to know in order to share knowledge with their students. However; it is very difficult to acquire any knowledge in an environment without order or stillness. Teachers are not only concerned about what to teach or how to teach but also the importance of teaching their students responsibility and the respect to their classmates' points of view. According to my experience, it is not an easy task to make a balance in the classroom. During this session, I had the opportunity to learn some strategies that help teacher to have transition from one activity to another. In addition to that; we practice some ideas to deal with peace and timing which are very important elements to answer a task without too many delays. I used to use attention grabbers without knowing that it was its name and the facilitator gave us many other ideas ...
I chuckled to myself when I read this part: "demanding to use the voice in front of thirty or thirty five students."
ResponderEliminarYes, having to shout all day can really take a toll on a person's vocal cords and throat. That's yet another reason why it's important to be able to grab attention through a variety of methods, including those that you mention: timers, instruments, etc.
From a different perspective, I sometimes try to think about the Ss' perspectives. I'm sure that they don't enjoy being shouted at all day. After a while, I'm sure they just learn to ignore it. I think that when we treat kids in class like we are army commanders and they are regular soldiers, we don't foster a willing spirit in them. Which, in the end, makes a T's work even more difficult.
Would you generally agree or disagree with those ideas?